In addition to the cheetahs, the Dell Cheetah Centre also houses other residents which have been brought to us by locals or have been found in need of help.
Tigger was found by road workers in a trench when he was about 1 month old and was brought to the centre where Estelle hand-reared him. He is very friendly with people and his mischievous personality entertains our visitors.
Pablo is the only survivor of a litter found in the veld and was hand-reared by some locals. He was brought to the centre when he started displaying a wild behaviour. Pablo is very talkative and loves chatting with humans or being read to!
Thunder and Fury
Hybrid of domestic cat and African wildcat
- Scientific name: Felis silvestris catus * Felis silvestris lybica
- Afrikaans name: Huiskat * Vaalboskat
- Gender: Male
- Joined the DCC in 2010
Our two house cats rule Vaal Rock and sleep on the Volunteers' beds! Now and then they will bring you presents in the middle of the night and eat them under your bed...
- Scientific name: Coracias caudatus
- Afrikaans name: Gewone troupant
- Gender: Male
- Joined the DCC in January 2015
Estelle found Tweety on the roadside. He was probably hit by a car and had a broken wing. He recovered from the shock but he cannot be released into the wild as he will never be able to fly again.
- Scientific name: Genetta Genetta
- Afrikaans name: Kleinkolmuskejaatkat
- Gender: Female
- Joined the DCC in 2016
Layla was bought to the DCC only a few weeks old.
Pepe Le Pew
- Scientific name: Ictonyx striatus
- Afrikaans name: Stinkmuishond
- Joined The DCC in 2018
Pepe was bought to The DCC from a local game lodge whos house cats had wondered into their house with it in their mouth.